F-20 Home

Encyclopedia Astronautica


The Cid Home Page

Haplogroup W Home

After the crash of GG1001, it was decided to complete GI1002 from structural components already assembled for F-20 air frames on hold. It was rolled out in the BMW grey paint scheme and had the civlian tail number N44671. It was the lone F-20 for customer demonstration flights after the crash of GI1001. Prior to the F-20 program was cancellation in November 1986, it was planned that GI1002 would be fitted with a new nose and begin flight testing in January 1987 of the enhanced range radar within the enlarged radome; an improved INS; and a 17,000 pound thrust engine. Instead it was placed in storage for a few years, ready to be put back into flight status in case an F-20 co-production sale developed. When the F-20 was finally abandoned in the early 1990's GI1002 was donated to the California Science Center in Los Angeles, where it can be viewed today.

GI1002 Chronology

May 12, 1984 - GI 1002 first flight.

GI1002: GI1002. October 10, 1984 - Korean GG1001 crash. Darrel Cornell killed.

GG1001 crashed at Suwon Air Base in South Korea during a tactical performance demonstration. Northrop Chief Test Pilot Darrell E Cornell was killed. Cornell had just completed a simulated strafing run at an altitude of about 300 feet when he pulled the aircraft up to an altitude of 1500 to 2000 feet, began a roll, and extended the landing gear and flaps. The roll was not completed and the aircraft continued inverted in an arc and struck the ground. The turn-in pull-up over the runway, and 360-degree aileron roll during which the landing gear was extended, had been part of the standard F-20 flight demonstration performed by Cornell at air shows on the nearly-completed F-20 world tour. The maneuver usually ended with the aircraft about 1,000 feet near the downwind end of the runway from which a base leg was entered for landing.

Cornell was thrown clear from the aircraft on impact. The demonstration was being performed before South Korean military officials, including the Chief of Staff of the Korean Air Force. GG1001 and GI1002 had arrived in South Korea on October 8, the last stop in a series of visits to 19 countries. The two aircraft were to have returned to Edwards Air Force Base on October 12.

GI1002: GI1002. January 1985 - F-20 GI1002 conducts bomb drop tests at Edwards.

During a sortie at Edwards Air Force Base GI1002 demonstrated good stability and tracking while carrying Mk. 82 bombs on all stores stations and AIM-9 Sidewinders on the wingtips. Drops while using the CCRP (Continuously Computed Release Point) mode during level flight with bombing run pull-ups over 3G's resulted with impacts within 45 feet of target. CCIP (Continuously Computed Impact Point) mode was also demonstrated.

GI1002: GI1002. May 14, 1985 - Goose Bay, Labrador GI1001 crash. Dave Barnes killed practicing for the Pairs Air Show.

F-20 GI1001 crashed at Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada,. killing Northrop test pilot David Barnes. The F-20 hit in an upright, wings level, nose-up attitude on snow-covered terrain. Two major secondary impacts were followed by further breakup of the aircraft. The wreckage was scattered approximately 1,000 feet from the initial crater. Northrop decided not to fly the remaining GI1002 prototype to the Paris Air Show and was unsure whether assembly of GI1003, which was to be completed in late 2006, would be accelerated.

GI1001 and a Northrop support crew were en route to the Paris Air Show and had stopped in Labrador for several days to allow Northrop test pilots David Barnes and Paul Metz to practice the air show routine before flying the F-20's across the Atlantic Ocean. The Northrop team had asked to fly a minimum of six flights per day during their stay. The accident occurred on 14 May at 1:50 pm Atlantic Daylight Time, at the conclusion of the sixth practice flight of the day. The F-20 and support team were scheduled to leave for Paris on May 16. Barnes had flown the demonstration flight routine 40 times in the last two months. Barnes, age 40, had been an engineering test pilot with Northrop since 1982. He had graduated from the Air Force Test Pilot School in 1977. He completed a three-year tour at Eglin AFB, Florida, and returned to the test pilot school at Edwards Air Force Base as an instructor before joining Northrop.

The support crew consisted of ten people, flying in the Northrop corporate Gulfstream 2 business jet. Northrop CEO T V Jones decided not to send GI1002 to Paris due to its commitment to flight test work at Edwards.

GI1002: GI1002. July 1985 - Dayton Air Show.
GI1002: GI1002. November 1986 - Development of the F-20 terminated.
GI1002: GI1002.

Back to the F-20A Tigershark Home Page
© Mark Wade, 1997 - 2006 except where otherwise noted.
Please contact us with any corrections, additions, or comments.
Google Site Search: